Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Soul Cravings

Everyone craves something at sometime.  Most common are food cravings, you know when you get that sweet tooth and just have to have that extra piece of cake.  Well, I get soul cravings.  Things that I just really feel the need to do or a place that I just feel I need to be.  The warmer the weather gets, the more I feel the need to be outdoors, whether it is in the garden, walking in the woods or just sitting by a creek.  These things relax me and rejuvenate my sense of well being.  This week I am craving knitting.  I just have the overwhelming urge to finish a project and start a new one.  By doing this it feeds my sense of accomplishment.  When there are things in life that are beyond my control, finishing a project lets me sit back and know that even though it may be something small in the overall scheme of things I can complete it.  My other soul cravings seem to take the form of reading or cooking.  Reading a good book, especially one with a happy ending, restores my sense that sometimes things really will work out.  With all the depressing news reports today, every now and then you just need a happily ever after.  Cooking a large or extra special meal gives me the sense that I am taking care of my family.  We sit down together and enjoy each other, and getting a full tummy is just a side benefit.  In addition it lets us slow down from a hectic day and just take a moment to breathe.  I am a firm believer that if you listen, your body will tell you what you need whether it be physically or spiritually.  Just take a second and listen to it.

2 comments:

  1. Makes perfect sense to me. If we would do this more often, we would be better for it!

    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, I just crave sitting and watching my two hens.

    ReplyDelete