Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Fatback and Lost Photo Upload

First let me say a huge thanks to Hermit Jim over at  Coffee With The Hermit for helping me figure out how to load photos once again.  It seems that blogger changed things around on me and for the life I could not figure out how to get photos that I had taken uploaded.   So now I can publish all my posts that are sitting out in my drafting file.  Yay!!!




Hog Jowl's and fatback waiting to be sliced


  So a couple of weeks back, we took the Hog Jowl's and Fatback out of the smokehouse where they had been curing covered in salt.  First we sliced the skin off and then ran them thru the slicer on a slightly thick setting.  Just to be sure it tasted ok, Farmer Joe quickly fried some up.  Oh my!!  Sweet and salty deliciousness.  After the quality check we proceeded to weigh out and package.  We left most of the fatback in chunks, but did slice some and we sliced all of the jowl meat.  We opted for 3/4 pound packages as 1/2 seemed to little and a whole pound just seemed a little much for Farmer Joe and myself at one time.  Vacuum sealed all those babies up and plopped them in the freezer.  Final count 13 packages of jowl's and 27 packages of fatback.  It is supposed to be cold and rainy this weekend and I think a pot of beans with some fatback on the woodstove will be just perfect.

2 comments:

  1. I do love a big ol' pot of beans and salt pork, with maybe some cornbread on the side! Heck, I was almost grown when I found out that wasn't Sunday dinner!

    My Dad used to call beans "Eisenhower Strawberries!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Farmer Joe's family used to have National Bean Friday. His mom would cook up a pot of pintos and after supper the three boys and their dad would race to see who got to sit in the vinyl recliner. Weekend entertainment at it's best.

    ReplyDelete