Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Nerve Of A 70 Year Old Woman

That's what the doctor told me yesterday.  I had carpal tunnel surgery on my left wrist the 2nd of this month. Yesterday I went back to have my stitches taken out.  After he sat down the doctor asked me how old I was.  I informed him that I had just turned 40.  He then proceeds to tell me that the wear and tear on the main nerve in my left wrist/hand equaled out to that of a 70 year old woman.  I was stunned!  He does feel that with having had the surgery and now going through intensive rehab, that nerve should heal.  Probably not to where it should be, but hopefully back to a point that I don't have problems with it.  I have often thought about the wear and tear that I put my body though especially in my joints and when muscles I don't regularly use become sore, but had never really contemplated the effects on other parts of me, such as nerves.  Gives me something to ponder on for the next little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment